I've been using VS Code. Great tool. But it means my tests are running through a command line runner. Essentially I use dotnet test, which is nice since I am targeting multiple platforms (.Net 4.5, 4.5.2, 4.6 & netcoreapp1.0).

But when I open my test project in Visual Studio, I have 0 tests. Thats zero, none, not a single one.

Turns out, if you want tests to show up in Visual Studio you have to make sure that in your project.json, netcoreapp1.0 needs to be the first framework in the frameworks section. Otherwise it don't work right.

Moving netcoreapp1.0 from being the last framework to the first solved all my problems. Now I have tests showing and passing in Visual Studio.

Done.